http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6645/3265/320/tyroneheadshot.jpg

Tyrone-Mitchell-Henderson

This is where I'd like to share some thoughts about acting,the process,interviews,my craft business and upcoming events

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Timothy Douglas Interview

Timothy Douglas is a close friend of mine and an awesome director. He was also gracious enough to volunteer to be the first person that I interviewed.

The interview format that I hope to follow will include six questions. Here were Timothy's responses.

What are you working on right now?

I'm directing a new translation/adaptation of Ibsen's ROSMERSHOLM for an operation called Oslo Elsewhere, www.OsloElsewhere.org, which will perform off-Broadway this summer. On the heels of that, I'll direct my first of four regional productions of August Wilson's GEM OF THE OCEAN at Milwaukee Rep.

What is coming up for you in the future?

I'm preparing to reenter the formal teaching arena, as I'll be teaching acting part time at Emerson College beginning in the fall. It's a bit of a Litmus for me to determine if I'll go back to teaching full time ... something I did before my directing career kicked in. I'm at a place in my creative development where I'm feeling it's time to place more of my focus and attention on those who are coming up behind us in the business. Also - now that I'm admitting to being 'middle aged' - it's time for me to begin thinking about a little more security for my future that the freelance and itinerant directing career does not begin to address in any meaningful way. In addition there are those three other GEMs for Indiana Rep, Syracuse Stage and GeVa Theaters, as well as a production for Theatre Alliance in DC.

Where do you see yourself in two years?

I'm truly at a professional and personal crossroads at the moment ... this next theatre season will surely determine the answer to that question. I'll leave it at that, as I'm not one to speculate on things so ephemeral.

Favorite project?

Robert O'hara's INSURRECTION: HOLDING HISTORY. This is a play that has meant so much to me at every developmental step of my identity as a director and black man. I've directed four incarnations of it, including the (personally) life altering version I staged in New Zealand with a company of Maori actors. I'll be directing a production in DC next winter, and I cannot wait. The sentimental, and most surprising (to me) answer to this question would be the Actors Theatre of Louisville production of CRIMES OF THE HEART which featured my best pal Kelly (Coffield) Park. It was a beautiful experience from the word 'go', particularly because I felt it would be a very tricky transition for me when I was suddenly in a position to cast friends who had traditionally been fellow actors with me.

Well, working with Kelly could not have been easier and more eye-opening in the most positive ways. Also, I had dismissed Beth Henley's play as 'fluffy' story easily dismissed. Well, I discovered that it's a truly remarkable, deep and insightful human comedy. Along with INSURRECTION I now count it among the very short list of plays that I'd be happy to direct whenever asked.

Words of wisdom?

Yes, please!